Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

I love doing theatre for young audiences. It has been while since I did it, and this week I had the chance to return to the put-the-show-together-in-a-week process I cut my teeth on several years ago. I directed Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day for the summer series at the Stockbridge Theatre. I was reminded of several lessons.

It is not easy to put together a show in a week, but it is possible. Keep it simple and come prepared- that's the key.

Young audiences are great audiences. They challenge you to hold their attention. Keep things clean and clear and active.

Ensemble is so very important. You have to enjoy one another and help one another. Like I said, it is not easy to put together a show in a week, but it is possible. Creativity from the first rehearsal is essential - because by the second rehearsal you have to be solidifying things!

The simplest stories are often the best. Take Alexander and the THNGVBD, based on the wonderful book by Judith Viorst. Everyone in the audience - parents and grandparents and children alike can relate to Alexander and his day. Sincerity is most important ingredient to the book, and to a successful production.

It was refreshing to go through a quick-and-dirty process like this again, and relive some great memories of my past experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment