Monday, December 28, 2009

Ah, the classics...

Yesterday's read was The Cure at Troy by Seamus Heaney. I had not read the Philoctetes before, which includes fascinatingly negative portrayal of Odysseus. Which of course, I rather like. Heaney's language is pointed and really hits on the question of what is the right thing to do.

I love about classical plays that everyone is guilty of something, no one is ever completely right or good. It is all about the shades of gray. Philoctetes is at once both sympathetic and detestable. And I love a good chorus. I am a HUGE han of the choral voice and love that this script is written with that as a suggestion.

Some quotes that stuck with me:

"Philoctetes. Hercules. Odysseus.
Heroes. Victims. Gods and human beings.
All throwing shapes, every one of them
Convinced he's in the right, all of them glad
To repeat themselves and their every last mistake,
No matter what." - Chorus

"Scruples are self-indulgence at this stage." - Odysseus

"Whose side are the gods on?
What are human beings to make of them?
How am I to keep on praising gods
If they keep disappointing me, and never
Match the good of my side with their good?" - Philoctetes

No comments:

Post a Comment